Search This Blog

Monday, June 25, 2012

Nothing Much Happening!

Boy has the quilting activity dropped off! Not just around here but viewing new Flickr photo's and my favorite groups therein, seems everyone has slowed down. Must be that it is summer. I do spend time in my sewing room every day that I'm home. It may be that I'm cutting or organizing or sewing but I'm in there. Let me tell you tho' that there is not ANY quilts being completed.

I had set a goal of finishing four specific quilts this last quarter and I've finished none. One I've been machine quilting but then had a problem with tension and "eyelashing" on the back of the quilt so I need/want to unsew a bunch of it. A second quilt I wanted to do Baptist Fans as the quilting pattern but I decided this AFTER I had sandwiched the whole quilt and when I started marking it, with a template, found that the thickness of the quilt, combined with the thickness of the template makes marking very difficult. Now I've set that aside, trying to decide if I should unmark what I've goteen done and give up on Baptist Fans or what. I still may get one quilt finished before the end of the month. We'll see!

Otherwise, I've started another top...yes I love to do tops more than I like completing the quilts. I've been wanting to do a snails trail for years and I've been wanting to do a red and white quilt for years so I've combined two desires. I decided to do large blocks, 12", as I wanted to make a large grapic statement. Lucy (our 1959 beach single wide) has many ugly walls. This quilt will be hung on a wall in the small room destined to become my sewing area at the beach.

Here is where I am so far. Hope you like it!


Enjoy!
Toni

2 comments:

  1. You mention marking your quilt. I'm just curious what you use to mark your quilts. What all have you tried and what do you like best? I own a Gammill long arm machine. I've had it for several years, but I still feel like a beginner since I've only done my own quilts. I usually do BIG quilts, and don't have a lot of time to piece, so I haven't quilted that many quilts...maybe 30 in the 5 years I've had the machine. One of my biggests hurdles is the marking. I haven't found anything that I'm satisfied with from a 'removal' perspective. The blue wash out pens always seems to come back to visability. The chalk-type pens and pouncers don't even seem to come off well.

    ReplyDelete